Latest vintage available online via Port2Port.
- Soil Table Mountain Sandstone-derived soil
- Alcohol 13.45%
- Acid 6.52 g/l
- pH 3.29
- Residual Sugar 1.90 g/l
- Fermentation & Maturation Sauvignon blanc – fermented in Terracotta Amphorae, Nombot Egg and Ceramic Egg for 5 months.
- Semillon in neutral oak barrels for 5 months.
- Chardonnay in Terracotta Amphorae and neutral oak barrels for 5 months.
- Yield 18.27 hl/ha, 2.9 t/ha
- Production 441.5 cases
- Blend Composition Sauvignon blanc 58%, Chardonnay 26%, Semillon 16%
- Fruit Origin Hemel-en-Aarde Valley 100%
- Vegan Friendly
- Release Date September 2021
This stellar vintage was later and cooler than usual. Based on our measure of temperature, the average of the maximum temperatures for the 4 hottest months (crucial to harvest) Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, 2021 came in at 24.3 Centigrade. This compares to 24.8 Centigrade for a long-term average of the equivalent period in Burgundy. In the last 25 years, only 2001, 2004 and 2008 have been cooler. Winter was wetter than usual with 140mm more rain than average, filling dams and building the water table beautifully. Chill units started accumulating later than usual and a cool Spring and later budding accounted for the later harvest. A warm January was a welcome help towards healthy ripening. Any disease pressure from rain showers during ripening was effectively controlled. Yields, as always for us, were low. The Pinot noir harvest finished 10 days later than 2020, and the Chardonnay harvest finished 8 days later. Fruit quality and acidity were exceptional for both. The 2021 wines stand out for their complex, layered elegance, purity and mineral liveliness.
93 Points - Tim Atkin, June 2022
93 Tim Atkin, June 2022
Fresh, herbal and layered, with very subtle wooding, leesy texture and flavours of lemon rind, lanolin and peach.